Black Country schools asked to help raise carbon monoxide awareness

Local gas network, Cadent, is calling on schools in the Sandwell area to help spread the carbon monoxide safety message after figures revealed the area is a hot spot for dangerous gas appliances.

Faulty or badly maintained gas appliances can leak deadly carbon monoxide, a colourless, odourless gas that kills some 40 people a year and sees a further 4,000 visiting accident and emergency departments with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
In the last 12 months, over a thousand gas appliances across Dudley, Tipton, West Bromwich, Oldbury, Cradley Heath and Rowley Regis were condemned as being ‘at risk’ or immediately dangerous’. The figures were among the some of the highest in the West Midlands.
Now, with the help of a cuddly caped crusading bear named Safety Seymour, Cadent is aiming to tackle the scourge of CO. It is urging schools to sign up to a free day of carbon monoxide safety educational activities, run in the classroom, aimed at Year 2 pupils and aligned to the national curriculum. Cadent Stakeholder and Customer Specialist Amanda O’Shea said:

“Research shows that families with children are among those most at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning. Safety Seymour teaches youngsters how to stay safe and they take that knowledge home to their mums, dads, wider families and carers.

"It’s all about safeguarding future generations by embedding CO safety knowledge at an early age. Carbon monoxide poisoning is easily preventable yet thousands of people every year suffer from CO symptoms or even die."

Any school that would like to sign up for the Safety Seymour sessions should contact Amanda via email. Children in the first 150 classes to sign up for a session will receive a free CO alarm.


Add a comment

Rating *

Recently Played


  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Useful Links


Travel News

How To Listen

Latest Podcasts

92.2 / 102.5 FM
'Play Black Country Radio'