Funeral for Stourbridge stabbing victims

Heartbroken family and friends, along with members of the community, turned out in their hundreds to say a last goodbye to a much-loved mum and son who were brutally stabbed at their Stourbridge home.

During an emotional funeral service at St Mary’s Church in Oldswinford this morning (Wednesday June 7), tributes were paid to Tracey and Pierce Wilkinson, who were attacked at their Norton home on March 30.

Laid to rest in a joint coffin – 50-year-old Tracey and 13-year-old Pierce were honoured by a packed congregation of family, friends and staff and students from Redhill School where Pierce had been a pupil and which closed for the day as a mark of respect.

Husband and father Peter Wilkinson, alongside daughter Lydia, led the funeral procession into the church where many members of the congregation were already in tears after emotional performances of Robbie Williams’ hit Angels and John Lennon’s Imagine by Kidderminster Male Choir. Lydia heroically held back her emotions as she paid a touching personal tribute to her mother and brother. She said:

“My mum was gorgeous. Not only in her sense of fashion, but she also had a beautiful soul. She was an inspiration and my best friend. I will always aspire to be like her, and I still can’t believe my closest friend has been taken from me.

“Pierce, who I would always affectionately refer to as Pippin, was simply the best brother I could have asked for. He was always so happy and his laugh so infectious. 

“We were as close as a brother or sister could ever be. We had a true love and bond that could never be broken. Pierce will always be my baby brother and I will never forget the fantastic times we’ve had together.

“I’m so proud of my happy family. I love my mum and brother so much, and my dad and I will miss them for the rest of our lives.”

Vicar of St Mary’s Rev Stephen Agnew, who led the service, and Father Desmond Devenney, from Our Lady of Lourdes RC Church in Stourbridge, who blessed the Wilkinsons’ home in Greyhound Lane before Peter and Lydia returned, both said prayers at the joint service.

Members and dogs of Hall Green Retired Greyhound Trust, the group the Wilkinsons adopted their family pooch Mandy from, formed a guard of honour outside of the church. Roy Wiffen, a family friend for more than 20 years, told the congregation:

“We’re thankful for the kindness, love and support that every member of the family has received. They’re going to need that support more than ever in the coming weeks, months and years.

“I think it’s very right that Tracey and Pierce are together, inseparable as always as they were in life. They loved nothing more than to cosy up on the sofa together and watch films – one of Pierce’s favourite pastimes.

“Pierce was a handsome lad with a huge smile and a great sense of fun and would have made a number of young girls’ heart’s flutter. Tracey was a wonderful daughter, wife, mother and friend. Her kind, caring love shined through. She was such a generous person and made friends easily.

“We are now missing two wonderful people, taken from us far too soon. Tracey at the prime of her life, Pierce just starting his. Our time together with them was truly special.”

Shortly after their tragic deaths – 23-year-old Aaron Barley, of no fixed address, was charged with two counts of murder and one count of attempted murder.

At a hearing at Birmingham Crown Court on May 3, he admitted attempting to kill Peter Wilkinson but has yet to enter a plea regarding the deaths of Tracey and Pierce. He is next due to appear in court on July 19.


Add a comment

Rating *

Recently Played


  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Useful Links


Travel News

How To Listen

Latest Podcasts

92.2 / 102.5 FM
'Play Black Country Radio'