Omar Tariq jailed for causing death by dangerous driving

Omar Tariq was jailed for a total of three years and four months

A 31-year-old man from Stourbridge has been jailed for causing the death of Peter Price last year.

Omar Tariq was jailed today for a total of three years and four months for the death of Peter Price, 39, who was killed when he was hit by Tariq's white Mercedes E250 convertible.

Mr Price had been crossing Hagley Road West in Quinton, near to the junction of Stanley Road, just after 9pm on Saturday 29 November 2014. Despite the best efforts of passers-by, police officers and paramedics, Mr Price died at the scene as a result of multiple serious injuries. 

Tariq pleaded guilty on 21 December to causing death by dangerous driving and, in addition to the jail term handed down by Wolverhampton Crown Court, he was also disqualified from driving for five years. His ban will start at the end of his prison sentence.

A black box fitted to Mercedes revealed that when struck, the car had been travelling at no less than 61mph along the road which has a 40mph speed limit. Witnesses statements proved he had been travelling in excess of the speed limit for considerable time prior to hitting Mr Price.

This information, combined with an analysis of the scene by specialist crash investigators from the Regional Collision Investigation Unit, showed that customer service agent, Tariq of Denton Road, Stourbridge would have been able to stop the car in time had he been travelling within the speed limit.

Instead, after ploughing into Mr Price who was returning home from a night with friends, Tariq failed to stop and rather than help, drove a further third of a mile before pulling on to Birch Lane and calling the police.

Tariq had not been permitted nor insured to drive the car which was a courtesy car loaned to his 23-year-old girlfriend, also from Stourbridge following a separate accident. His girlfriend, Parvinder Ubhi, 23, a health and safety officer of Jardine Close, was prosecuted for permitting use of the vehicle without valid insurance and obstructing the police in their execution of their duty by falsely claiming she was driving. 

She pleaded guilty to both offences at an earlier Magistrates’ Court hearing and received a 12 month community order with 150 hours unpaid work, 12 months supervision order and was disqualified from driving for one year.

In interview Tariq claimed that he had been driving towards Birmingham to collect his two sisters from work. He told officers that he "wasn’t speeding or doing ridiculous speeds". His false claims were initially supported by Ubhi who was in the passenger seat.

Speaking after the hearing, Peter’s father Bob Harrison said on behalf of his family: "It has been a long and very difficult fifteen months. The loss of Peter has been devastating to all who knew and loved him. Pete was a fantastic guy and will always be sorely missed.

"We would like to thank all of the police and officials who have had contact with us through this time we have found their conduct to be exemplary."

Sergeant Adam Green, from the Regional Collision Investigation Unit, said: "It is clear from the statement provided by his family that Peter was a much loved man who is greatly missed. Omar Tariq’s actions have meant that the rest of their lives will be spent without him. 

"Tariq selfishness and complete disregard for anyone else on the road that evening have earned him not only a lengthy prison sentence, but have meant that Pete’s family will never see him walk through the door again.

"The simple fact is that speed kills. People who speed may think that this would never happen to them, but clearly, in Tariq’s case it did and the devastation caused is irreparable."
Those affected by crashes can get information and support from the charity 'Brake' at


Add a comment

Rating *


  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Useful Links


Travel News

How To Listen

Latest Podcasts

92.2 / 102.5 FM
'Play Black Country Radio'