Photo ID alternative at the polls for local elections

Residents across the Black Country who do not have photo ID but still want to vote at a polling station in this year’s local elections can apply for a special certificate.

Local elections take place across the borough on May 4 but photo ID must be shown if people want to vote at a polling station. There are a range of options for photo ID including driver’s licence, passport and some travel passes.

A full list is available on the Electoral Commission’s website. f people do not have one of the approved documents they can apply for a free voter authority certificate which can be used at the polls in the same way.

People can still vote by postal ballot without the need for any photo ID. Kevin O’Keefe, chief executive and electoral returning officer for Dudley Council, said:

“The new rules have been set nationally and mean that people have to show photo ID at the polls if they want to vote at a polling station.

"There are a number of options open to people but if they do not have an approved photo ID, there’s a quick and simple form they need to fill in to get one of the voter authority certificates.

“With these changes coming into force this year it’s important for people to understand what they need to do on polling day."

People can apply for a voter authority certificate online on the Electoral Commission’s website. People can also use the same website to register to vote and must be registered to vote.

It’s quick and easy to do online but must be done before April 17.


Add a comment

Rating *

Recently Played


  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Useful Links


Travel News

How To Listen

Latest Podcasts

92.2 / 102.5 FM
'Play Black Country Radio'