Residents urged to 'snuff em out' in the run up to Christmas

Damage at a house fire caused by unattended candle. Credit: @ErdingtonFire/Twitter

Local people are urged to be cautious in the run up to the festive season with more than a third of reported accidental fires, started by candles in the home, resulting in death or injury.

Pete Wilson, Head of Community Safety, said:

“Candles are a welcoming sight in many homes, giving an atmospheric glow to cold winter nights. But they could lead to a trail of devastation, especially if you leave them unattended.

“But, even after taking precautions, it’s vital to be prepared should the worst happen. Working smoke alarms can give you vital time to get out, stay out and call 999."

The issue also extends to fragrance oils which can catch fire easily if used for the wrong purpose. The service are urging people to only use products designed for use in burners – and never leave them unattended when lit.

Other advice around using candles safely includes making sure burning candles are put completely out when you leave the room and when you go to sleep. Lit candles or fragrance burners should be positioned on a stable surface, out of the reach of children and pets, and away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books.

Products should be burnt in a well-ventilated room, but away from drafts, in a heat-resistant holder.

More information can be found online at 


Add a comment

Rating *

Recently Played


  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Useful Links


Travel News

How To Listen

Latest Podcasts

92.2 / 102.5 FM
'Play Black Country Radio'