Stourbridge Man Saved By Smoke Alarm

A man escaped serious injury when a fire broke out in the kitchen of his Stourbridge home over the weekend.

Crews from Stourbridge and Brierley Hill were called to the property in Hawbush Road at around 10.50am on Saturday and found the fire out on arrival. It is believed the fire started on the cooker and has completely destroyed the kitchen.

But a smoke alarm alerted a 52-year-old man who was sleeping upstairs and he was able to get out of the house. He suffered smoke inhalation and was treated by a firefighter at the scene.

The kitchen door had also been closed which firefighters say prevented the blaze from spreading to other parts of the house.

A spokesman for Stourbridge Fire said: “He is a very lucky guy indeed and it is a good job the smoke alarm was working.”

Firefighters used Periscope to tweet footage of the aftermath of the blaze and promote the importance of working smoke alarms and the need to keep doors shut to prevent fires spreading.

Recently Played


  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Useful Links


Travel News

How To Listen

Latest Podcasts

92.2 / 102.5 FM
'Play Black Country Radio'