Thug Tyrique Watson had a "bad day" and attacked innocent bus passengers

A Stourbridge teenager who carried out savage, unprovoked attacks on bus passengers because he was having a "bad day" has been locked up for four years.

Tyrique Watson left one terrified young woman needing surgery after breaking her nose with a flurry of punches and all four of his victims are now too frightened to use public transport.

Judge Nicholas Webb told the 19-year-old there was no explanation for what he described as "vicious outbreaks of violence" against vulnerable people who were clearly targeted. He said Watson took each of his victims who had all been travelling on the number nine bus by surprise and other passengers on the vehicles had been left in a state of shock.

The judge said there was no evidence the teenager, who was of previous good character, had any mental problems as he told him he presented a serious risk of future harm to members of the public.

Watson, added the judge, appeared to have been "emotionless" during the attacks on three young women and a man which were all caught on CCTV.

There was a degree of premeditation because the footage showed Watson "looking for someone to attack" in what was an "unusual and worrying case."

Howard Searle, prosecuting, said the teenager first rained blows on a man sitting on the bus in Birmingham Street, Stourbridge, leaving him with a number of facial injuries. Then, weeks later, he attacked a young woman for "reasons unknown" and she was repeatedly punched in the face. She tried to run away but Watson followed a continued the brutal attack.

A 17-year-old girl who was also on the bus acted as a "good Samaritan" and tried to help the victim but Watson struck her a number of times and pulled out clumps of her hair.

Watson then got off the bus, Wolverhampton Crown Court was told, and minutes later he boarded another number nine and punched another young woman who had to undergo surgery to repair her badly fractured nose.

This victim, added Mr Searle, recognised Watson and the next thing she remembered was coming round after she had been knocked out in the attack. Watson, of Stepping Stones, Stourbridge, admitted one charge of wounding and three of assault causing actual bodily harm.

The judge sent him to a young offenders institution as he extended the period of licence on his release from custody by a year. He told Watson his attitude was concerning and it was clear he was "dangerous."

Rachel Pennington, for Watson, said he could not explain his actions, she added: "He had been having a bad day, he lost his temper and he knows there was no need to hit anyone."

She said the teenager was full of remorse - not only for the victims of his violence but also for the people on the buses who had to witness the attacks.

He accepted his behaviour had impacted on their lives, said Miss Pennington who added: "What he did was out of character. It was behaviour that came out of the blue over his failure to control his emotions."

Recently Played


  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Useful Links


Travel News

How To Listen

Latest Podcasts

92.2 / 102.5 FM
'Play Black Country Radio'