Council reveal name for new town centre eatery

With a nod to its historic roots, the name of the new bar and bistro at Dudley Town Hall has been officially unveiled.

Regen boss, Councillor Simon Phipps, unveiled the name during a behind the scenes tour of the venue as construction work nears completion. When it opens this summer, it will be called Brooke’s Bar and Bistro.

This is in honour of Brooke Robinson, a former MP and coroner for Dudley who was an avid collector of paintings and artefacts from around the world. On his death in 1911 he left a large sum of money to create the Brooke Robinson Museum to house his vast collection.

His widow and The Brooke Robinson Board of Trustees agreed the money should be used to build a new town hall and coroner’s court with the Brooke Robinson Museum included. Dudley Town Hall opened in 1928 and the Brooke Robinson Museum in 1931. Councillor Simon Phipps, cabinet member for regeneration and enterprise, said:

"Along with his collection, Dudley Town Hall and Coroner’s Court are Brooke Robinson’s legacy. It’s thanks to his generosity that we have the town hall complex we see today and that generations of local people have been able to enjoy his wonderful collection.

"The redevelopment of the town hall is one of the many exciting projects taking place in the town as part of our vision to regenerate Dudley. Although we are extremely excited to open this new venture, we also want to give a nod to the hall’s historic roots and remember the part Brooke Robinson played in its creation.

Colin Knipe from the Brooke Robinson Trust, added: "The trustees are absolutely delighted that Brooke Robinson is being remembered and honoured more than 100 years after he died.

"The name of the new bar and bistro is a fitting way to remember his generosity, which funded the building of the town hall complex all those years ago."

Brooke’s Bar and Bistro will be accessed off Priory Street using the Memorial Tower entrance. The Brooke Robinson collection was moved into Dudley Museum and Art Gallery in 1979 and is now housed on the first floor at Himley Hall and will be available to view in the coming weeks.


Add a comment

Rating *

Recently Played


  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Useful Links


Travel News

How To Listen

Latest Podcasts

92.2 / 102.5 FM
'Play Black Country Radio'